Possess Live Wildlife on Public Display or for Other Commercial Purposes

Possess Live Wildlife on Public Display or for Other Commercial Purposes

This application allows you to possess live wildlife where wildlife will be on public display or for other commercial purposes. See section 2(j) of the Wildlife Act – Permit Regulation.

It is the permit holder’s responsibility to be aware of all applicable laws and the limits of this permit. Applicants should be aware of and follow the conditions indicated on their permit, should their permit application be approved.


About this Activity Guide

This guide summarizes the most common requirements and recommendations for your chosen activity and is designed to help you submit a complete application. Be aware that this information is for guidance purposes only.

Mandatory Authorizations

Authorization Name Link to Authorization Guidance Link to Application
Permit under Wildlife Act, Permit Regulation (section 2(j) Authorization Guidance Apply Now


Cost may be a specific value or range of values. The cost includes GST, where applicable.

Cost Type Cost Description Cost Link to Details
Permit Fee Fee paid for a permit issued generally or for the wildlife, purpose or method specified (if any) plus the Habitat Conservation Trust Foundation (HCTF) surcharge (if any). Varies Wildlife Act Permit Regulation - Schedule 3

Eligibility Requirements

Ensure that you meet the eligibility requirements prior to applying.

Requirement Description
Wildlife Must be wildlife as defined under the Wildlife Act.
Age Applicant must be at least 19 years old, unless a parent or guardian has given written consent to the application. A permit must NOT be issued to an applicant under age 10.

Information Requirements

Authorization Requirement Description Link to Details
New Applications Information to be provided on General Wildlife Application
  • Proof that facilities/mews have been inspected and passed by Ministry personnel
  • Number, age and gender of wildlife currently in possession (non-federal species only)
  • Description of any bands, tags or tattoos on the wildlife
  • Name, address and telephone number of the proposed supplier of the wildlife
  • Proposed use of the wildlife (e.g. pest control, breeding, selling, movie industry)
Permit 2(j)
Public Liability and Property Damage Insurance
  • Proof of minimum $1 million in public liability & property damage insurance (zoos)
Public Safety Plan
  • Demonstrate that public safety will not be jeopardized by any activity to be undertaken under the permit (see section 10(1) of the Wildlife Act Permit Regulations)
Public Safety Plan [PDF 103KB]
Renewal Applications Information to be provided on General Wildlife Application
  • Details of any changes to previous permit
Permit 2(j)
Reporting Requirements
Public Liability and Property Damage Insurance
  • Proof of minimum $1 million in public liability & property damage insurance (zoos)
Link Description
Wildlife Act - Permit Regulation
Public Safety Plan
Raptor Report Form

Other Things You Should Know

Archaeology Information
Archaeological sites are protected under the Heritage Conservation Act and must not be altered or damaged without a permit issued by the Archaeology Branch. Information regarding potential risks to protected archaeological sites may be obtained by submitting an online data request form to the Archaeology Branch or by contacting a professional archaeologist via the BC Association of Professional Archaeologists (www.bcapa.ca) or via local directories. Visit the Archaeology Branch website for more information.

BCeID - What Is It and Why Get It?
BCeID is an online service that allows you to create a user ID and password to sign in securely to many Government services in British Columbia. The benefits of having a BCeID account include:

  • Stop and start. Save and return later to complete your application without losing any information previously entered.
  • Real time status information. Check the status of your application in real time.
  • Access your applications for multiple people (Business BCeID only) to edit or submit your application or check its status. To enroll in this service, visit the BCeID web page: FrontCounter BC - BCeID

Consulting with First Nations

  • The Province is committed to reconciliation as part of the Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous People Act.
  • The Province is responsible for ensuring adequate and appropriate consultation and accommodation, it may involve the proponent in the procedural aspects of consultation.
Proponents are encouraged to engage with First Nations as early as possible in the planning stages to build relationships and for information sharing purposes. To get more information about the guidelines and procedure manuals that are designed to assist government officials and proponents with meeting consultation obligations, please visit the Consulting with First Nations web page.

Legal Disclaimer
This guide provides the most current and accurate information available to the Government of British Columbia at the time of publishing; however, we make no warranty regarding the completeness, currency or accuracy of this information. This information is for guidance purposes only and does not replace legislated requirements. Each application is unique and circumstances may result in additional requirements beyond those included in this guide.

Last Updated: July 14, 2023